One of my goals of 2018 was to make #Stretching a part of my daily routine. Originally I set this goal in hopes to prevent injuries and discomfort during my marathon training. And I did! My husband and I both made it a habit and experienced countless benefits. My only regret is not making this a habit sooner.
Highly active or not, this is important for your health!! Even if you are not exercising you are still able to receive multiple benefits for your body and your mind. I literally preach the importance of stretching to my loved ones so that they can benefit from it too. Because if something helps you THIS much, you gotta share!
- Relieves stress (yes plz) I know everyone can relate to this.. Stress is a daily part of our lives, we feel it mentally & physically. Stretching is a great form of stress management. Why?? Not only does it physically help you relieve tightness in your muscles; it also gives you a mental break to reset & quiet the mind. I personally love to stretch for about 15-30 minutes each night to relax and unwind before bed. It allows me to sleep better and feel refreshed in the morning.
- Increases mobility/flexibility/range of motion Stretching is the act of lengthening of your muscles, so the more often you practice it, the easier it becomes and the more flexible you become. Being flexible can be beneficial in more ways than just the gym! (if ya know what I mean) P.s. As we age, our flexibility and joint range of motion decreases. But no worries, b/c you are able to regain it and MAINTAIN it through daily stretching.
- Increases circulation Stretching increases blood flow/oxygen to your muscles which also brings nourishment to your muscle tissue which then leads to quicker recovery time and less soreness! Therefore leading to GAINS!
- Improves posture Poor posture is commonly derived from tight/tense muscles. Daily stretching can maintain proper alignment and keep you upright!
- Improves athletic performance
This is obvious for all the reasons above ^ With enhanced coordination, blood flow, mobility, and decreased soreness & chances of injury…it only make sense that your overall athletic ability improves! Ever wonder why you can’t squat low or perform an exercise properly??? It could be that your Hip Flexors are too tight or you have tight Achilles. Those tight muscles/joints will hinder the mobility needed to perform those exercises properly.
- Decreases risk of injury Stretching after workouts is actually more recommended than prior to working out. Trying to stretch your muscles while they’re “cold” can put you at risk of tearing a muscle. Warm-up the muscles before a work-out with low intensity mobility work like walking or pumping arms with little-to-no resistance. Practice stretching after your entire workout is complete while your muscles are still warm. Stretching can avoid unnecessary injury, but of course it can not prevent ALL injuries.
I honestly couldn’t imagine why you would want to skimp out on these amazing benefits!!! There’s so much to gain from adding this simple task into your routine. I know you already set your 2019 goals but you should definitely consider adding this to your list!
Thank you for stopping by today!